Friday, January 4, 2013

Quinoa, Arugula and Toasted Pumpkin Seed Salad

It's Friday!! Which means, I have to go back to work Monday.  I've REALLY been enjoying this time off to relax, rejuvenate, work out, cook, clean, relax :), etc.  It's going to be pretty challenging to get back into the motion of working again.  I just want to make sure this healthy kick won't be too difficult! MAN! Well, I guess I can't complain about having 2 weeks off! It makes me never want to get out of the education career--that's for sure :)

Speaking of healthy..I made an amazing salad (check it out below):


OMG! SOOO Delicious! 
I adapted a recipe from the cookbook: Forks Over Knives.  Which by the way, I HIGHLY recommend.  It has so many stews, soups, salads, and just tons of meals that are 100% plant based.  

Okay back to the recipe.... BTW, this is really quick and easy if you already have quinoa and chicken (optional) made already.

Serves 1 (I was a lone soldier today)

Ingredients:
  • 1/4 cup of cooked quinoa (cooled if possible--wasn't for me, I was too hungry!)
  • 1 1/2 cups of arugula
  • Some chopped red onion (I used a little less than 1/4 of a cup)
  • Some grated carrots (I used a small handful)
  • 2 tbsp Toasted pumpkin seeds**see note below
  • 3-4 oz of chicken breast (optional)--I used this recipe for my FAVORITE almond baked chicken--which by the way, make sure to broil for last 3-4 mins so it's crispy!
  • 1/2 orange juiced (and zest)
  • 1/4 lime juiced
  • 1-2 tbsp of rice vinegar (use to your taste)
  • salt and pepper to taste
Directions:
  1. Combine quinoa, arugula, red onion, carrots, and pumpkin seeds in a bowl.
  2. Mix orange juice and lime juice (FRESHLY SQUEEZED), zest, rice vinegar, and salt and pepper in small bowl.
  3. Drizzle over salad and mix together.
  4. Top with chicken (optional)
**Note: I toasted pumpkin seeds to give a bit more crunch! I did this by putting about 2 tbsp in a cast iron skillet on medium heat for about 4-5 mins (until they turn brown and start popping.

No comments:

Post a Comment